Wednesday February 25, 2015
Here's a little piece of encouragement for those times during a workout when you ask yourself "what am I doing here?!".
Article link: "What am I doing here?"
Wednesday February 25, 2015
You are not alone. Many feel that the open is only for the uber fit. The truth is that the CrossFit Open is for everyone, no matter where you are in your fitness journey. Especially now with the scaled option for each workout. To help make this point we encourage you to read the following article 'A Reason to Try' from the CrossFit Games website. What do you have to lose?!
Article link: "A Reason to Try"
Monday February 23, 2015
Putting your time in at the gym is with out a doubt the best way to reach your fitness goals. But do you still find yourself struggling to reach that PR? This article on boxlifemagazine.com lists 21 bad habits that might be getting in your way.
Article link: "21 Habits You Need to Break to be a Better CrossFitter"
Monday December 29, 2014
Hardly a week goes by where we don't see wall ball shots in at least one of our daily workouts. This CrossFit mainstay looks deceptively easy as most can string together 15 to 20 reps without a problem. However when you multiply that by 3 or 4 rounds and throw in pullups, burpees, and a 400 meter run you have what many would call a "black pit of despair". How is it that some are able to effortlessly churn through wall balls like they are doing air squats? If you are interested in breaking the wallball code take a moment to read the article "5 Secrets to Success for Wall Balls" posted on WodPlanet.com.
Article link: "5 Secrets to Success for Wall Balls"
Wednesday September 3, 2014
Have you heard any of these?
These are just a few the many misconceptions about CrossFit. We really like how Wodplanet.com separates the fact from the fiction in their article titled "5 CrossFit Myths: Fact vs. Fiction".
Article link: http://bit.ly/CrossFit-Fact-Fiction
Monday July 28, 2014
Seriously. Where does it all go? What does it become? How does it get out of your body? The answer isn't as simple as you might expect. For years we've been taught that the fat stored in our body is converted into energy. This is where we get the phrase "burning fat" and is the basis of many fad diets and exercise programs. Well, it turns out as you may have guessed, this is not true. Now this may not be a revolutionary concept for you. If asked this question you might instead have said that fat leaves our body through water (sweat or urine). Well, this is only partially true as it only accounts for a very small amount of the fat that leaves our body. The truth is over 84% of body fat leaves the body through breathing and only 16% through water. When your body is moving and your breathing rate goes up you are loosing more weight than if you are sitting still and breathing at a normal rate. So the big take away for us? To loose weight eat less, and move more.
Watch the video below to see how Physicist Ruben Meerman (aka the 'surf scientist') explains the science behind this.
Wednesday June 25, 2014
This is especially true for people who spend all day tied to a desk at work. You may not realize it but the time you spend sitting may be undermining your progress at the gym. But don't panic, there are several things you can do that will help so that the time you spend at CrossFit Skagit doesn't go to waste. Nicole Crawford recently posted some valuable advice on breakingmuscle.com that is worth reading.
Wednesday May 21, 2014
There's no secret that we love CrossFit! The community and the training keeps us coming back for more. But even for the most committed, sometimes you just aren't feeling it. Sometimes it takes a more than a little extra push to get ourselves to the gym. How can we break out of the slump and get back into the groove? Neil Jones recently wrote a great blog post over at Tabatatimes.com that outlines 5 tips for falling back in love with CrossFit. It's a quick read and worth checking out if you find yourself in a slump.